Distance to the hotel: 95 km
The Grossglockner offers driving fun, hiking pleasure and nature experiences. Before the construction of the Grossglockner High Alpine Road, the mountain was reserved for experienced mountaineers. Since the opening of the Alpine Road in 1935, the 48-kilometre road and its 36 hairpin bends have been made safer and more comfortable. As a visitor magnet, it is climbed by car, bus, camper and motorbike drivers, but also by sporty cyclists.
Museums, exhibitions, huts and mountain inns, visitor centres and information points put the spotlight on the diverse mountain world with its fauna & flora in the middle of the Hohe Tauern National Park. The road was built in just 5 years by the visionary Franz Wallack and his 4,000 men. His north-south connection over the Fuscher Törl is a technical, as well as logistical masterpiece, which produced innovations that have endured to this day.
The most famous vantage point on the Grossglockner is the Franz-Josefs-Höhe, which offers a magnificent panoramic view of the Grossglockner and Pasterze. The visitor centre there is the starting point for many hiking trails. The spot owes its name to Emperor Franz-Josef - he and his wife Empress Elisabeth, called Sisi, visited Carinthia in 1856 and admired the mountain and glacier from this spot after several hours of hiking.